Woodworking hand tools are the basic gears that a woodworker should have to complete easy and small projects. If you have just developed an interest in woodworking, then this section will provide you with the most basic hand tools that you should have before starting a project.
Identifying the things that you want to make will help you in determining the type of tools and materials that you would need to complete it. Woodworking is a very rewarding craft, but it can be very overwhelming so beginners like you, focus on small and easy projects and progress over time.
Related Reading: which miter saw to buy
You can search online for simple projects that you can start off with. In fact, there are thousands of sites that provide you simple DIY woodworking projects. But, to save you some time, here are some of the best projects that you can start with.
- Table. The ideal one to create is a side table a very basic one. You can use this as additional furniture to your porch, to your living room, or to your bedroom. You can paint it if you want to give it a more polished look.
- Bookshelf. If you do have books that are just lying around the house, you can organize them on your DIY bookshelf. Again, you can start with the most basic design. You can either have one that stands alone or you have one that you can just mount on the wall.
- Stool. If you have a side table, you can make a simple stool. If you want to amp it up a bit, you can make a bench.
- Picture Frames. Yes, you can add up some rustic look to your house, by replacing your store-bought frames with the ones you created.
- Wine Rack. If you are tired of your old wine rack, make one.
Basic Hand Tools for Beginner Woodworkers
- Jack Plane – is a general-purpose bench plane, used to typically smooth the edges of a wood. It also is used in sizing a wood. By applying adequate pressure to the tool, the blade allows you to peel off a few layers of wood.
- Panel Saw – is a machine that allows you to cut woods in the sizes you prefer.
- Chisels – are tools that have a blade at the bottom that is designed to carve a wood. They come in sizes so depending on your desired project, buy those that you would use most.
- Back Saw – most commonly known as a hand saw. This is necessary for a minor sawing process.
- Combo Square – it is a measuring tool. This tool is very helpful when you are doing some woodwork because it helps you determine angle and surfaces to ensure a good finish.
There are other materials that you might need which include, but it not limited to sanding paper, nails, glue, and hammer. However, the need of these materials may vary depending on the project that you are about to make. This article was only made possible by the contributions from Sawist.com